Thursday, April 28, 2016

Reflection on Brian Bress' Status Report

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mlQYJHbb6U

"Are you asking me about my work? Or are you asking me about my hobbies?"

I can honestly say that I have never ever seen anything like this before. I found this 'status report' video by Brain Bass very funny in some parts because of how bizarre it was but I also found other elements of the video quite scary. 

I think that in terms of the filmmaking techniques involved to create this piece are remarkable, there was lots of elements that I wasn't entirely sure how he made them, for instance the numerous times that one of the characters in the space ship 'flew' slowly across the busy screen. I think that the video editing was great because it kept me captivated despite the fact I felt a little 'uneasy' watching this piece. In addition to this I thought the use of sound was excellent, it was varying and prominent throughout the piece.

After watching this video I found this curators statement online that 'sheds light' on this video:

"Status Report as a beautiful and telling meditation on how society deciphers the seemingly separate personalities of the artist- work versus hobby, the art market, competition, the need for love and acceptance, mental health and comfort, hiding behind or within one's work, and the search for something unknown in wondrous and complete isolation. Each of these embedded in a separate character played by Bress. Each inhabiting their own unique and delicately devised universe."

This statement gave me a new found scope or lens with which I can interpret this video as a social commentary or cultural barometer, this is something I hadn't considered previously. 

df



No comments:

Post a Comment