Thursday, February 25, 2016

Reflection on Edward Burtynsky's 'Manufactured Landscapes'

Video Link: www.bing.com/videos/search?q=manufactured+landscapes+hulu&&view=detail&mid=E577D90839791D246A37E577D90839791D246A37&FORM=VRDGAR

I learned a lot from this piece. It really opened my eyes into the way in which consumer goods are manufactured on a large scale. Typically I don't consider all of the previous steps leading up to the object that I've purchased being in my hands. I also thought that Burtynsky's ideology and rhetoric surrounding his work was admirable. He mentioned early on that his intention was not to 'glorify or damn' the portrayal of landscapes, rather his desire and goal was/is to just show or document without casting judgement. I thought that this approach to photography was interesting because of the countless images that exist to sell ideas and values about things. 

I recall watching the opening shot/scene from this documentary and being amazed by the sheer size of the warehouse that the people were working in. There was a particular shot of irons moving in opposite ways along a conveyer line along the ceiling which made me think about our society as a whole and our desire to collect and consume as much as we can. 

In addition to this, I thought that the conversation that Burtynsky's crew had with a company representative outside the factory was also thought provoking. This is primarily because the crew were trying to persuade the company rep to let them shoot in the area. I recall the representative mentioning that the weather wasn't good enough for images - this as a result led me to consider the amount of planning/spontaneity that occurs on a photoshoot. I considered spontaneity  as being more 'truthful' and planning for certain types of weather more 'fictional'. I recognise that this is a minor point, but it is something that resonated with me that directly links to the lecture about fabrication. 

I found this documentary informative and enjoyable, I thought that Burtynsky's working style was both admirable and improbable in terms of trying not to influence or cast judgement which would perhaps alter the way the viewer interprets the image. I think that it is improbable even because of the small things like framing which could drasticatly alter the way in which things a are perceived.

No comments:

Post a Comment